Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Bumper crop of tomatoes

(tia with the crop, just before easter)

So i bought a burke's backyard magazine awhile back last year? and it came with some digger club tomatoe seeds. And it was some big hearty variety which i can't remember! (Not at all a miniature or cherry type) I was excited with my first lot of digger club seeds. Bought some potting mix on cheap and some seedling trays from the reject shop (mistakes 1 & 2)

I made the mistake of thinking potting mix after its useby date is still alright... i mean it is just dirt in a bag isn't it?!!! But no... apparently after this useby date the potting mix its very water resistant and down right crappy!

With Tia being into mud, dirt, making a mess (like she has for the past 5.9years) i thought seedling trays on the deck out of direct sunlight they will grow... and they did. About 3-4cms high and then they stayed that way for 2 months or so.. i weeded out the seedlings. I hadn't expected that each seed would germinate! I thru these seedlings on the ground.... and left them

its now after christmas and ive forgotten about the seedlings in the tray... they are dead anyways..

after christmas we started noticing all these tomatoe plats growing. (the ones i had thrown out!)
and now we have alot of tomatoes!!!! and will have until the frost comes in or if we get alot of rain with snails and it rotts/gets eaten.So i had to do something with them. We would find more in a day then we would eat them! It seems i was just in time as some had over ripened and burst a bit And one had started to get a tiny bit mouldy. yuk! I followed instructions to what i don't remember.

Basically boil tomatoes for a bit. Put the lid on, take off heat. Then take lid off pot. Drain water. Let cool to touch. peel off the skin (which was so unbelieveably easy! and somewhat messy fun!)
Then boil off any excess water and there it is! What i'd usually buy in a tin. Fresh from the garden ready for my meatballs (when i get around to it) Instead of mucking with jars and water baths etc i just froze it! :)



Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
pregnancy

2 comments:

maria said...

Glad you could use the excess tomatoes in some way! Did you not put any salt into the tomato mixture? It's like the 'cherry on top'.. and brings out their flavour (.. Jamie Oliver says so too.. lol)!

I have grown tomatoes in a previous life. Cherry tomatoes (I remember in one picking I had over 500...and that was just one days crop). When I was pregnant with Jenna I grew many tomato plants.. and I think I made tomato sauce and relish..and then was reeeeally over it all by then. Spent a fortune on the right fertilisers and antifungal stuff..etc.

But beautiful tomatoes to eat. Just lots of work.. I think I had too many plants.

Thanks for sharing your tom's!!

Jenna said...

wow and there you have it