Tuesday, April 28, 2009

a bill for health...

There's this story of a 20yr old aussie male who lost 80kg+ (half his body weight) over a year and how its going to cost $40k for a tummy tuck? and breast etc reconstruction all to remove the excess skin. Not being too happy about the bill and not getting anything? back on medicare...

If excess skin reductions were covered by medicare... do you think it would spur on weight loss of obese/overweight people? I think i'd be encouraged.... (however it doesn't encourage the thought of operation/stitches/weeping/infections... ive got enough stretch marks from weight and 3 pregnancies to disguise myself as a tiger if i painted them black after using too much fake tan LOL! would i even care if i had another that went 360 around me?)

I mean before we think of slimming down, cutting it off and now looking like a new person... its 7hours+ of surgery.... i remember watching one of those extreme makeovers and this huge woman had so much excess skin cut off everywhere it was a marathon surgery and yet this was round one for her. Each hour of surgery increases risk of infection (hence pass the bucket of iodine)

If it were open for medicare rebates.. would it not create a influx those who are just with a wee bit of excess skin that more weight loss would benefit more than just a nip & tuck? and make a waiting line huge that the people who do indeed "need it" (e.g half their body size) would have to wait longer?

I watched the biggest looser finale... up till 10.20pm so i didn't see the finalists weigh up, im not sure i even saw them come out? It was just crazy as usual the wait.. pointless... The eliminated people did really well all but the first couple voted off (my only criticism) Alot of them looked amazing.. one of the brother couple looked a bit like david hasselhoff i think the one who won the 30k? The most outstanding couple had to be the winning one, Tiffany and Bob? the father/daughter in law? couple. Well done and congrats to them!


Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
pregnancy

4 comments:

Jenna said...

yeah bob said he didnt want any extra skin taken off him.. ewww. walkin around with this flab on you.... I guess there cant be too much on him otherwise he would do surgery?

Anonymous said...

Hey chickie. Long time no hear. I had fallen away from blogging for a while, but I am back now..trying to make a good effort to keep things updated. I noticed you are on Xbox Live...me too....my id is VirtualPrincess - I don't play alot of games, more so Poker and Uno. But I thought it was amusing to see your avatar on your blog. :)))) Take care...

maria said...

Truthfully. In theroy, I like the idea (for example) of getting a breast reduction. ie. lopping off a chunk of sagging breast, repositioning the nipple and creating a new, plump & perkier looking breast with no implants.. just my own breasts. Just the saggy bits removed to put my boobs back to where they were when I was a teenager.

However! In practice, the idea of major surgery and the pain and more importantly the risk of infection and follow-up appointments and then how long do you have to wait before you don't look 'disfigured' when naked?

People can and do look amazing post-op after having lots of excess skin taken off.. but there is always a price to pay (other than the obvious financial one). And boy it's risky.

Do you just go with what you have and accept that the next perfect body you'll get is in heaven? Thus 'making do' here on earth.. because droopy boobs don't have eternal consequences?

I do 'get' that some people have SO much excess skin that it gets them down because it increases their clothing size x 4 or something. That would be a tough one.

maria said...

Not in theroy... in THEORY ...OH.. (sigh @typo's)...lol