Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Picnic Cob & dinner pic

As usual i changed it a bit..
the recipe called for zuchini, eggplant, sweet potato, basil leaves, bocconcini.. none of which i have and in the case of the zuchini & egglplant both i dislike! I was going to get some bocconcini to try out.. but i forgot!
I substituted the bocconcini for some pepato cheese (pretty waxy, hard but crumbly) & some normal cheddar. I substitued the chunky red chili dip for pizza paste sauce, the semi dried tomatoes for fresh tomato and the veggies for triple smoked ham, mild italian salami & pepperoni... and i forgot about adding any salad greens to it.. thinking about it now wouldn't have done well anyways (considering in the recipe, which i didnt read to the end) they cook it.. i put 1 quarter in the oven, was yummy and the other quarter for 1min in the microwave and it was just as yummy, if not more melted and hot..
the next morning while clearing the bench i realised i left out the leftover salami & pepperoni! whoops!!!! Worked it out to be roughly the same cost as the veggie version, i found that the deli was cheaper than buying 100g packs from the over-packaged fridge deli section.. but then thats probably normal.. however the over packaged deli meats probably last longer in the fridge unopened..

finish up with a dinner pic, veal chop or cutlet.. with some salad.. i did add some addictive whole egg mayo to this..




Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

1 comment:

maria said...

I bought the squeezy bottle of S&W mayo too last week and I thought of you when I did! I usually get a big jar, but finances were tight. Your veal dinner looks wonderful!!

It was amazing for me to log on to your blog this morning and find another picnic cob!

I just came from a food blog that featured a picnic cob loaf stuffed with goodies too! Both yours and hers posted today! 'Tis the season?? It was called "Muffaletta" or something. So then I put a link to my cob from 13months ago. (more like a squashed baguette.. which appears in the first few photo's of a slideshow here.. http://foodiewanderings.blogspot.com/2007/10/church-picnic-photos.html) Mine was from an issue of Vogue Entertaining (2003) and was called 'Patafla'.. and you commented there last year too.

It wasn't as mind-blowing as I thought. It had anchovy fillets, fresh basil, capsicum (red & green), two kinds of olives, onion, fennel, roma tomatoes, capers, cornichons + s&p +plenty of extra virgin olive oil. Quite a salty/oily number! I think next time I’d omit the anchovies and fennel and basil and include some continental meat, haloumi and potato salad?!!

You're now the second person to mention baking this loaf. Mine didn't call for any baking/heating..but I can see how it would make it yummier! Yours sounds very tasty indeed ^^

So it isn't just me that leaves things out on the bench and I lose $4 worth of meat or cheese or something! I could sometimes cry when I realise I've left something out overnight! Sometimes it's leftover dinner that would have been perfect for another dinner or lunch! x.x