Thursday, September 27, 2007

7kg baby born!!! or 17.1 lb baby!!!

BARNAUL, Russia (Reuters) - A Siberian woman who gave birth to her 12th child -- doing more than her fair share to stem Russia's population decline -- was stunned to find that little Nadia weighed in at a massive 7.75 kg (17.1 lb).

Nadia was delivered by caesarean section in the local maternity hospital in the Altai region on September 17, joining eight sisters and three brothers, a local reporter said.

"We were all simply in shock," said Nadia's mother, Tatyana Barabanova, 43. "What did the father say? He couldn't say a thing -- he just stood there blinking."

"I ate everything, we don't have the money for special foods so I just ate potatoes, noodles and tomatoes," she told the reporter, adding that all her previous babies had weighed more than 5 kg.

The Guinness World Records lists a 10.2 kg baby boy born in Italy in 1955, and a 10.8 kg baby boy who was born in the United States in 1879 but died 11 hours later.

The average weight for most healthy newborn babies is around 3.2 kg (7.06 lb), according to World Health Organisation figures.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! That baby is as big as my 4 month old!!!

Unknown said...

LOL @ Tracey's comment! Thats what I was going to say! Baby A is 7.5kg and she's 6mths old....thank god for caesareans! (although I haven't needed one)

maria said...

My girl's father had a baby boy recently, his 2nd child and my daughter's new sibling!! He was 9 pounds and my ex expressed to me he was concerned about how large the baby was. ?? Certainly not a petite baby but he should read this, yah?!

Thanks for leaving blog comments lovely lady. And you're the only one that has mentioned my girl's sign!! (The handwritten one)! It is funny isn't it?

Tiffany said...

oh maria.. the sign was very funny!!! LOL!
yup tia was 8 pounds 10 which is around 3.5kgs...
i also read that thinking, thank you God for cesearans! (oh wow i cant spell)

missmegan1974 said...

Gee and I though Chiara was big at 10 pounds 5 ounces... lol.. I bet that woman is glad she had a c-section!!