Saturday, September 15, 2007

Oh crap childcare,cushions n calamari

Well friday came, i was happy Tia was going to childcare, as she loves it.
I had her tidy her room, get dressed i did some cleaning.. i keep looking at the piece of paper checking the times and days for the childcare.. and my mind was screwed up (lets blame it on hubby being home for 2 days and so it felt like the weekend and friday was monday..) as it creeps up to the time i thought it was going start i looked at the same piece of paper again and realised i stuffed up and that we had better run now so Tia could play for 5-10minutes.. oh dear.. they have 2 half days and 1 full day and i got the times for the 2 half days mixed up.. i was happy to pay the full fee for the half day but the lovely chick said i just had to pay the 5bux penalty fee.. doh! and i booked tia in for both half days and then its the school holidays..

I felt so bad for making her tidy her room when she could/would have been playing with kids.. so then i decided to take Tia shopping.. and i got 3 cushion covers to go on the lounge... (1 embroided and 2 sequiened ones) and a ribbed hand towel for $10.50! Whoot!! Ah Better homes and gardens would be proud.. LOL! No i take that back, they would be stunned that i didnt spend $50-$100 on cushions.. meh!

Today being saturday, went out shopping and from the same place i got the cushion covers we got a new quilt cover! whoot! for $16.99 a nice big sale all sizes one price.. ^^ I like this sale! (have u noticed?)

I also attempted at cooking calamari... i bought calamari rings from the fish shop on friday.. (i looked at the full squid for $3.99 a kg but they were huge! and the eyes.. eeewww) so instead i bought pre-cut rings a handful for 3 bux. DH whipped up a eggwhite for me (i burnt my fingers)
and i dipped them in plain flour (not rice flour) and fried them up in a shallow (coz im cheap) veggie oil (which meant i had to turn them over) and the end result? hubby said im not to cook calamari for him again! (hey no argument there!) he didnt finish them, a bit chewy, too salty (hey that wasnt my fault i didnt add salt!) apparently the batter was great oh and Tia choked on one ring and spat it out then didnt touch the others on her plate.. Me? i took a bite.. and bite-tasted it to check the texture and flavour and spat it out too.. nah i cant digest that!
and then i set about exorcising the house from that odd smell..

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Heya Maria.. The biscuit wasnt at all stale, it was lovely (if it was plain) i think the best thing would be to colour it one colour/flavour instead of all 4 as thats quite a interesting experience.. strawberry, blueberry, bananna & apple all in 1 bite!

SJ said...

Calamari's delicious! Best calamari I ever had was in a little restaurant in Chinatown in the city... expensive, but worth it :)

Unknown said...

Hey Tiffany, good on you for trying to make it! I LOVE calamari but I have only bought frozen ready-crumbed calamari from the supermarket.

Well done on the bargains! I love a good bargain too! :)

Christine said...

You are braver than me - I would never have even bought that stuff home. Good for you for trying - too bad it was yucky. :)

maria said...

Oh my goodness I wrote a LONG comment..and then LOST it!! I navigated away from the page inadvertantly ((inward scream)) !!!

I remember I said I was proud of you for finding such bargain cushions and a quilt cover and maybe you should show us one day in a photo?

I also said there should be a national inquiry about the cost of throw cushions and cushions in general as they are SO overpriced!

I also mentioned how my girl Jenna choked on calamari in Fremantle, W.A. - (on holiday when she was 5). I thought I was going to lose her. Never again for her! I have not allowed the stuff to pass her lips and she doesn't want it either. Slipper foods and children are a risky combo. Even spaghetti..fettucine.

However.. I'm sorry your calamari didn't turn out as you would have liked. Shallow fry is probably the worst way to do them. A quick stir fry with minimal oil or DEEP fry.. I'm talking like in an electric deep fryer.. are the best methods. Must be right temp. oil and even the calamari temp bears an effect on the final outcome. They should be melt in your mouth.. I'm sure you'd really like them!!

I'm just so pleased you bought them and attempted to make a lovely meal from them. For someone that isn't big on seafood.. I think you need another award! I love so many types of seafood my heart bleeds for those who won't even try dishes sometimes!

Anyway... I wanted also to mention that it was good you didn't have to pay full price for Tia at daycare.. and it was a penalty instead. I forgot an appointment today myself and it's on the calendar!! Sheesh! :-) Not the first time either.