Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Dont kill me with kindness!

I walk everywhere! (not that it shows) ive racked up alot of experience as a pedestrian!

So often people think they are doing the nice thing by waving me across the road (giving way to me) HOWEVER they rarely focus on the rest of the road, all they see is me and them, not the other incoming traffic or the traffic behind them and so forth. Ive been waved across the road in peak hour traffic! I have refused and shook my head. Don't be cranky, its just i like my ribs, legs, arms where they are and dont like the idea of walking into that car turning in! Not all pedestrians are running late, just like not all car drivers are running late.. usually im not in a hurry.

Another bad time was when i was at a small concrete round-a-bout where there is traffic coming from 3 ways, one old lady stopped on the round-a-bout and gave way to me and waved me across, blocking access and putting herself at risk!

Do drivers forget exactly how soft the human body is? I don't have a safety core, i don't have air bags, im not made of steel, aluminimum (sp?) or plastic... while a car has no feelings and doesn't mind driving around a bit mingled or left alone at the car mechanics/panel beaters. i on the other hand do mind waiting at the doctors, the hospital and hobbling along with injuries for the next couple of weeks.

So please if your driving next time, just take care of yourself. drive safely, at the speed limit or less if its rainy/icy/low visibility. I can cross the road without your help!

Oh and please make sure you drive a car that i can see the blinkers even with the sun shining directly on your blinkers (usually the blinkers with colored plastic cover not the clear ones).. and another kind note; please dont get grumpy at me if i cross the road your turning into without indicating! Im not a mind reader!

Did you know Sophie Delezio has a wiki-page! amazing! This little girl has been injured twice in her short life!!! She was born on the 3rd of april in 2001. The first accident was a car that drove into her childcare centre, caught fire and trapped her. December 2003.
"Sophie suffered burns to most of her body and lost both feet, some fingers, and her right ear."
the 2nd accident, may 2006
"While being pushed by her caregiver in a wheelchair with her service dog Tara by her side, across a pedestrian crossing near her home in Sydney's northern suburbs she was hit by a car, and thrown 18 metres. Sophie suffered a broken jaw and shoulder bone, bruising to her head, numerous rib fractures and a tear to her left lung."
She turned 6 this year and i pray no more happens to her and she can enjoy a great big life!
"As a result of Sophie Delezio's accident over $2 million has been raised, along with heightened public awareness for the need for adequate support and services for pediatric burns patients."


1 comment:

maria said...

Sophie has gone through so much.. I don't think anyone could believe it when it happened a 2nd time.

I didn't have a car for years either (though had my licence). Here are some things I noticed A LOT as a pedestrian:

1. People's spit and hacking all over the footpaths in suburbs and in the city. I'd have to make sure I didn't step in it.

2. People smoking on the footpath, employees hanging outside of their workplaces for a quick fag.. I walked through SO MUCH SMOKE every single day.

3. I was often asked for directions

4. I was also asked for money often, $1, $2 or 50 cents. Only something new in my adult life. I was surprised in London that I was asked for money all the time, just like in Yugolavia in the 80's whereas I hadn't experienced it in Australia.. Now I do.

5. Mentally ill, psycho-type people are in your face more.

6. Crossing at lights isn't always safe as cars/motorbikes dont' follow the rules all the time.

So they're my observations!

In cars now..what peeves me off the most actually..as a driver, is slow drivers in front of me. I lack patience.. I regret to say.